I recently discovered that packaged cornbread mixes are not all vegetarian! Jiffy cornbread mix contains “animal shortening” (lard, aka pig fat). Instead, this recipe takes only a few minutes to put together, and is very tasty. Try it with a warm bowl of chili or with some apricot jam on top.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 mixing bowls — 1 small, 1 medium
- 8×8 baking dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix the dry ingredients until well blended.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix the wet ingredients until well blended.
- Pour the wet mixture onto the dry mixture and stir until all of the dry ingredients are absorbed. It will still be lumpy, but you shouldn’t see clumps of dry flour anymore.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges are golden.
- Makes 9 squares.