This is my dad’s mixture of spices that he uses for everything – chicken, fish, vegetables, sauces, you name it. When I first started cooking on my own in college, I didn’t have many of the spices the recipes required, so I used the “magic spices” in nearly everything and it worked fine. His recipe (see below) uses Lawry’s Garlic Salt, which includes soy and additives, so I’ve created my own allergen-friendly version here. We still keep a pre-mixed jar of this in the cabinet at all times.
- 4 Tbsp. minced dried onion
- 1.5 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1.5 Tbsp. iodized table salt
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/3 teaspoon dried parsley
- Small glass jar with a tight-fitting lid (such as an old jam jar, approximately 8-14 oz. size)
- Mix all ingredients into the jar, tighten the lid, and shake vigorously.
- Keep in your spice rack and enjoy in a whole variety of recipes!
Adapted from my dad’s recipe, which was his own creation:
- Lawry’s garlic salt (coarse ground with parsley)
- Minced onion (dried)
- Basil (dried)
Mix approximately equal parts of all three spices into the jar. (You can change the proportions to taste. My dad likes more onion.)