This is a very mild vegan chili, so some of you will want to “punch it up” with additional chili powder, hot peppers, cracked red pepper flakes, tabasco sauce, etc. I also cooked some macaroni noodles to add after the fact, because my crock pot wouldn’t hold any more volume, but I’d like to try modifying this recipe next time by adding macaroni, potatoes, or rice.
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, cleaned and diced
- 1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn (corn with little red and green pepper bits)
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, pepper, and other seasoning to taste (you may want to add this at the end rather than the beginning)
- Crock pot
- Combine everything in the crock pot and mix well.
- Cook on low for about 4.5 hours until beans are soft and flavors are well-mixed.
- Add salt, pepper, and other seasoning to taste if you find that you want more kick.
My own creation. Inspired by multiple basic “vegetarian crock pot chili” recipes online.